The West Michigan Dental Foundation (WMDF), in cooperation with several other dental organizations, awards grants for tuition and books. These are available to qualifying students presently enrolled in dentistry, dental hygiene and dental assisting programs. Each year the Tuition Grant Committee determines the number of grants that are offered, the value of each one and which students will be WMDF grant recipients. Grants range from $500 to $5,000 for applicants.
The grant awards are based on the applicant’s merit, academic credentials, and the committee interview. There is no obligation to repay these grants. It is the desire of the WMDF that the student will become a supportive member of the Foundation and the West Michigan dental community.
The following criteria apply:
- The applicant must be a resident of or originally from one of the following West Michigan counties: Kent, Ionia, Mecosta, Montcalm or Ottawa.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a comprehensive dental program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on dental accreditation. Each must be a full time student in a campus-based program.
- Dental students must have completed their first year of dental school prior to making application and they are ineligible if they are in their final year of dental school. Dental graduate students may apply for a tuition grant except in their final year of graduate school.
- Dental hygiene students must have completed their first semester of actual dental hygiene classes prior to making application. Hygiene students are ineligible if they are in their final year of hygiene school.
- Dental assisting students must have completed their first semester of dental assisting courses prior to making application.
- The WMDF Tuition Grant is an award that may be received only one time per student.